Saturday, August 18, 2007

Facebook: Not Just for The College Crowd

Facebook's New Wrinkles

By Robert D. Hof
BusinessWeek | August 20, 2007

The 35-and-older crowd is discovering its potential as a business tool

[snip]Facebook has a lot of newbies these days, many of whom are in fact oldies. The number of unique Facebook visitors 35 and older more than doubled in June from a year ago, to 11.5 million, according to market researcher comScore Media Metrix.

Most newcomers aren't yet doing much real business there, preferring more buttoned-down sites like LinkedIn or e-mail for maintaining professional contacts. But they're intrigued enough with the communications potential of Facebook that they now make up 41% of the site's visitors.

As they join Facebook, older users are tiptoeing into a new social landscape. Among the tough questions: How much personal information should I reveal? What does it mean to be a "friend," and how many can I have before I'm overwhelmed with requests and information? And not least, what's a "poke"? "The lines between what's business and what's personal have blurred," says Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg, 23.

Nonetheless, the new demographic presages a sea change in social networking. Even if younger people don't feel the need to distinguish between personal and professional contacts, anyone over about 30 usually does. Facebook allows people some control over what information they reveal to whom, but it's likely Facebook's new demographic will demand even more ways to differentiate between various levels of "friends." [snip].

This influx doesn't thrill all the 20-something pioneers, who are starting to feel inhibited by the older folks looking over their shoulders. Some anti-elder groups have emerged on Facebook, many clearly humorous but others with names such as "I hate old people" and "Kill the elderly." Regardless, "old people" are piling in and weaving Facebook into lives already glutted with information and relationships. "I don't want to be left out," says Bernard H. Tenenbaum, 51-year-old managing partner of investment firm China Cat Capital.

They're also finding real utility. They can build social capital with little effort just by noticing that a contact has posted an update about her birthday today and wishing her well. Eric Jackson, CEO of management consultant Jackson Leadership Systems Inc. in Naples, Fla. ..., says he used Facebook to reach some Yahoo employees he couldn't otherwise find.

Some of those older people, it must be said, are rather less social than they appear. Carl Kasell, the 73-year-old National Public Radio newscaster and judge on the NPR quiz show Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me, has "friended" dozens of people. Or so it seemed. It turns out the show's 23-year-old director, Melody Joy Kramer, actually runs his Facebook page. "Carl only looks at it every Thursday," she says. "He doesn't really use a computer." Fortunately for Facebook, Kasell seems the exception.



Andy Lopata said...

I have seen a large number of business colleagues join Facebook over recent months, mainly because of the influx of invitations they are receiving. Many are still working out how to use the site and whether it should be for business or social purposes.

I have taken the plunge and used Facebook to mix my networks, allowing my business colleagues to get a glimpse of the 'real me' and my friends to find out more about what I do. I am a great believer that people do business with people they like, so by allowing my barriers to come down, perhaps my business relationships can flourish.

I do wonder when the next 'teen only' site will spring up though, sparking a huge exodus from Facebook of everyone who can't stand their parents being there.

I don't know where that leaves me though, I'm 37 and my parents are on Facebook!!!

Gerry said...


Wow! Your parents must be in their
mid-late 50s [?]

Talkin' 'Bout My Generation ! [:-)